Professional Standards for Australian Career Development Practitioners The Career Industry Council of Australia (CICA), supported by the Australian Government, developed and published the Professional Standards for Australian Career Development Practitioners. The publication of the Professional Standards represents a landmark in the history of Australian career development and a benchmark for career development practitioners. The Professional Standards:
- Define the career industry, its membership and its services;
- Recognise the diverse skills and knowledge of career practitioners;
- Guide practitioner entry into the industry;
- Provide a foundation for designing career practitioner training;
- Provide quality assurance to the public and other stakeholders;
- Establish a benchmark against which career practitioners can be assessed, evaluated and judged by their peers and by others;
- Require career practitioners to undertake continuing professional development;
- Create an agreed terminology for the industry.
The Career Industry Council of Australia has examined program proposals put forward by the higher education providers as detailed below for the specific courses as listed. In endorsing these programs the Career Industry Council of Australia has requested that each higher education provider work cooperatively with the CICA Endorsement Committee to enhance and further embed the standards within these programs.
CICA commends these higher education providers for their contribution to improving the quality of career services in Australia by conducting programs that meet the professional standards for Australian career development practitioners. The endorsement is for a period of three years for Graduate Certificate qualifications and higher and for a period of two years for Certificate IV. The programs listed below have been endorsed and meet the Professional Standards for Australian Career Practitioners.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education
- Master of Education
- Graduate Certificate in Education (Career Development)
- Master of Education (Career Development)
- Graduate Certificate of Career Development
- Graduate Certificate in Career Education and Development
- Graduate Diploma in Career Education and Development
- Graduate Certificate in Career Development Practice
- Certificate IV in Career Development
- Graduate Certificate in Education Studies (Careers Education and Transition)
- Graduate Certificate of Education (GCEF) Career Development Specialisation
- Graduate Diploma of Education (GDEF) Career Development Specialisation
- Master of Education (MEDF) Career Development Specialisation
- Specialist Diploma in Career Counselling
Professional Career Development Practitioners may hold qualifications at the Post Graduate level from Universities who have previously had programs endorsed but are no longer running. They may also have completed qualifications prior to the implementation of the Professional Standards for Australian Career Development Practitioners and CICA Program Endorsement.
Please contact the CICA Executive Director should you require any further clarification.
At the December 2014 meeting of the CICA Council, it was agreed by all members to establish CICA as a Registration Body.
CICA will commence accepting applications for registration from persons at three category levels.
- Certified Leading Professional
For more information, please click here.