Professional Standards for Australian Career Development Practitioners The Career Industry Council of Australia (CICA), supported by the Australian Government, developed and published the Professional Standards for Australian Career Development Practitioners. The publication of the Professional Standards represents a landmark in the history of Australian career development and a benchmark for career development practitioners. The Professional Standards:
- Define the career industry, its membership and its services;
- Recognise the diverse skills and knowledge of career practitioners;
- Guide practitioner entry into the industry;
- Provide a foundation for designing career practitioner training;
- Provide quality assurance to the public and other stakeholders;
- Establish a benchmark against which career practitioners can be assessed, evaluated and judged by their peers and by others;
- Require career practitioners to undertake continuing professional development;
- Create an agreed terminology for the industry.
The Career Industry Council of Australia has examined program proposals put forward by the universities and training providers as detailed below for the specific courses as listed.
In endorsing these programs the Career Industry Council of Australia has requested that each university and training provider work cooperatively with the CICA Endorsement Committee to enhance and further embed the core competency framework of the Professional Standards for Australian Career Development Practitioners within their programs.
CICA commends the universities and training providers for their contribution to improving the quality of career services in Australia by conducting programs that meet the Professional Standards for Australian Career Development Practitioners. This endorsement is for a period of three years for the Graduate Certificate or higher and two years for the Certificate IV in Career Development.
- Graduate Certificate in Education (Career Development and Counselling)
- Master of Education (Career Development and Counselling Specialisation)
- Graduate Certificate of Education (Career Development)
- Master of Education (Career Development)
- Graduate Certificate of Career Development
- Graduate Certificate in Careers Education and Development
- Graduate Certificate in Career Development Practice - September 2023
- Certificate IV in Career Development - October 2024
- Graduate Certificate of Education (GCEF) Career Development
- Specialist Diploma in Career Counselling
- Graduate Certificate in Career Development Practice
Professional Career Development Practitioners may hold qualifications at the Post Graduate level from Universities that have previously had programs endorsed but are no longer running. They may also have completed qualifications before the implementation of the Professional Standards for Australian Career Development Practitioners and CICA Program Endorsement.
CICA recommends that schools looking to provide training to staff wishing to undertake a career development role should enrol in a Graduate Certificate in Career Development or higher to be deemed a Professional.
Please click here for the complete list of current and previously endorsed programs.
The Australian Register of Professional Career Development Practitioners (the Register) is the single national point of reference for ensuring and promoting professional career development practitioners across the whole industry in Australia and is a further step in the professionalisation of the industry.
CICA, as the National Peak Body, is responsible for developing and promulgating the Professional Standards for Australian Career Development Practitioners and leads the industry to ensure a commonly understood appropriate standard of education, training and continuing professional development for career development practitioners is maintained.
Individuals wishing to apply to join the Register will require a CICA endorsed Graduate Certificate in Career Development or higher, or an equivalent career development specific qualification, and be a Professional Member of a CICA Member Association.
Equivalent career development specific qualifications refer to completed qualifications prior to the implementation of the Professional Standards for Australian Career Development Practitioners and CICA Program Endorsement.
All current and graduates of CICA endorsed programs including those previously endorsed will be eligible to meet the requirements to join the Register.